Thursday 21 August 2014

Weird Foodie Foibles

Has anyone got snacks or drinks that feel so comfortable and familiar to them, but when they're revealed others you're met by a look of confusion and pity?
Sometimes it's not actually so strange (like an appreciation for smoked mussels) and sometimes it is (such as eating dried pasta raw), but I have a few that garnered a disparate look or two from my contemporaries. Or as I like to call them, people waiting in line with me at Tesco.

Chicken Skins

This one may not be as weird as the others; I'm sure lots of people are perfectly fine with eating the skin on deep-fried chicken but I'm talking about another level. When the Sunday roast comes out of the oven or you pull the pre-cooked thighs out of the deli-counter bag what's the thing that gets you salivating? Probably the meat right? Not for me, the crisp, fatty skin holds all the poultry goodness concentrated into a single sheet of flavour. I like it, but I've had a cocked eyebrow from family members across the table.

Cream Crackers

We've all had a cracker, haven't we? Covered in cherry conserve with a wedge of brie on top. A slice of cheddar and pickled onions, or... plain. What, you've never eaten half a pack of crackers in one sitting with no toppings? I happen to find the semi-astringent effect of several dry crackers in my mouth rather pleasant, and they are a great snack whilst remedying an upset stomach.

Wine and Pork Scratchings

Yeah, I know. I'm a working class casualty. I moved up from the crass nature of drafts and ciders to the suave sophisticating of a long fermented grape but the nibbles never caught up with it. It's not something that's been a social stumbling block as of yet, but I'm waiting for the day when I'm sipping a bordeaux among the worlds elite someliers in a picturesque French cottage somewhere, causing a monocle to pop into a glass and a cuss spoken in "la langue francaise" as I grab a handful of pig skins.

Is there any food foibles you have?

No comments:

Post a Comment