Friday 15 August 2014

Today's Lunch Menu: Guilt, Shame and Fried Chicken

I'm going to show you a picture and you need to regale to me with what emotions and thoughts come to mind:

Go ahead. Soak it in. Like chips in a frier

What springs to mind? Images of obese Americans? Calorie numbers in four figures? Bland and uninspiring flavour prospects? For me, I get the most carnal and sacrilegious feeling of them all: Anticipation. Now this is when the room will be divided; I can picture those scoffing in one corner, some even feeling sorry for me, at the notion that I could entertain commercial fast food as a worthwhile talking point. But, and this could be the chicken talking, I am certain of another entourage; those who would join me in appreciating this commodity.

Pandora's (Deep Fried) Box

I won't ever argue that this is sophisticated, delicate, complex, original or even particularly special. However I cannot abide by the individual who does not accept the fast food outlet for what it is; a smooth engine to deliver a shot of salty, fatty goodness straight into your left ventricle. I make no (chicken) bones about this fact. Millions of people eat this sort of food on a daily basis and whilst you may object to it, on reasons of health or disgust, one must accept that by virtue of its ubiquitous nature it has redeeming values. Tasty values, even. I'm sure people across the globe, eating exotic food on beaches dappled with shade, would give anything, anything, for a bite of this greasy Western totem.

You either revile or rejoice this kind of food

You will gnash into that deep fried chicken skin, laced with those 11 herbs and spices of varied and probably dubious origin, dousing it in their meaty gravy whilst simultaneously mashing fistfuls of salty, crispy chips into your maw. Alternating bites of fillet, wing and drumstick occupy your mouth as you frantically search the bottom of the bag for a chip that may have absconded from the pack. And you will enjoy it. The only difference between us all is how we choose to emotional concede to this. Disgust? Remorse? Regret? Guilt? Nay, I say: PRIDE!

And possibly palpitations.

No comments:

Post a Comment