Friday 15 August 2014

Is Manuka Honey Worth The Money?

Honey is one of those store-cupboard ingredients that is universally acknowledged and then forgotten. I mean you spread some on toast every now and then, maybe put it on a pudding or something, but what more is there?

Much more. This is mainly because it is rarely considered as a flavouring, akin to the herbs and spices that any self-respecting gourmand knows are essential. Once you respect it in this manner it opens up a new plateau of appreciation for the product; runny or set? Acacia or Elderflower? Eponymously, is Manuka honey worth it?

Manuka honey is produce in New Zealand and Australia and is named as such because the nectar is exclusively retrieved from the manuka tree. Generally lauded for it's health benefits and restorative properties, a jar can set you back anywhere between £20 and £80. This is heavy stuff, ergo I have to try it. My mother was recently gifted a jar so that it might aid her recovery after surgery; naturally I pilfered some for the purposes of conducting a review and totally not because I could never bring myself to surrender more than £10 for something that can't get me drunk.

Yes it's on toast. Yes I'm unoriginal.

Visually the honey is a lot more translucent than any other variety I have seen. Whilst most brands supply a golden syrup looking product this is very reminiscent of the stuff Winnie the Pooh is addicted to. Also in terms of consistency it is a lot thicker and less gloopy than standard honey, reminding me of melted fudge more than the honey I am familiar with.

I decided to try it two ways; once as a humble spoonful into my maw, so that it may stand on it's own merit and once on toast, because I am British.
I have to say at least one thing in this product's defence as I fear it will get lambasted later on; it is unequivocally delicious. Thick, but no sticky. Umptuous but not grainy. It has the great physical properties of caramel but with a earthy, floral and deep sweet flavour (thanks fructose!) that reminds you of its humble pollinated origins. This honey is in no way sickly or heavy and is most definitely on another echelon.
Are you happy manuka? Because it goes downhill from here.

Some people may disregard my primary issue with this product, either because of their economic situation or because it perhaps should not factor into my analysis of the product. However it does for me and it always will; the price is the stumbling block. It's delightful, but I've tried high grade, non-manuka honeys that are at worst decent and at best just a hair away from matching this one. They were also available in many stores and cost a fraction of the price, 15% of the cost of the manuka honey in my particular instance. Does it taste more than six times better? No, but therein lies the issue; product quality and product cost are exponential. You can get a good wine for £5, no problem. Want the next step up? That'll be £20. The grade above that? £50. It ultimately depends on how much one is willing to pay for it.

There are obviously the medicinal benefits of manuka honey, even topical variants are available for that specific purpose, but I am considering it on a purely culinary level. Considering all factors, Is it worth it to me?
Hell no. It cuts into beer money!

No comments:

Post a Comment