Monday 6 October 2014

First For Everything: #7 Dressed Crab

I seem to have eaten my way through the seafood kingdom over the past couple of weeks and, in an effort to stave off the end of this briny journey, I find myself trying some crab. It's a fleeting happenstance with a crustacean that had already been cooked, dressed and ready to consume

Maybe my cocktail stick usage was ambitious at best
It's prepacked nature did not detract from my experience. It was like a mix between mussel and scallop. A meaty, toothsome texture with a briny, oceanic taste. Slightly salty, yet sweet like a mild fruit. If you mixed a piece of haddock with a mild pear and then added a dash of steak texture, you'd get the idea. That initial taste of raw, slightly off flavour is what might get most people; a "mineral" flavour is the most flattering way to put it. But, for me, this is a balanced piece of flesh fit for any occasion.

Hopefully next time I shall have the pleasure of eating crab undressed and in whole chunks. Unfortunately, so far, my trips to the beach with nothing but a net and some inspiration have netted me nothing.

Pun unashamedly intended.

No comments:

Post a Comment